Tuesday 17 April 2012

The Slow Fade

This keeps coming up, time and time and time again.

Friendships slipping away, closeness getting looser and looser until it's not there any more, shared experiences suddenly not appearing to mean anything.

I have never found a way of dealing with the pain of friendships slowly fading, and I certainly haven't found a way of dealing with what's upsetting me right now, which is the failure of what I thought was a solid bond. And it failed because, well, of me. Not entirely, but chiefly. I won't name any names here but a friend who I hold very dear I think saw the bad side of me, the me I am when I'm upset or anxious or just being a bit stupid, and it went on for a while so that I think it came across as 'the real me'. She was supposedly getting to know the real me, except I wasn't me. And nothing has gone wrong, exactly, which makes it worse - there's nothing I said or did which in itself I can apologise for. I just know that I wasn't great company, that I was quite selfish about some things, and now when we talk it's awkward.

I cannot express how much that hurts. I know I shouldn't worry, but I do, because it's fucking miserable.

2 comments:

  1. Totally know what you mean, it's hard when people seem to be drifting off in opposite directions. I think keeping up the contact is one of the best things to maintain good friendships. Even if it's just coffee once a week, just seeing each other frequently will mean more stuff in common and i'm sure you'll notice a diff and feel closer with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds really hurtful the way you write about it. as for me, before my eating disorder, I used to be much more social. now I get anxious very easily and tend to pull back all the time. honestly, it simply sucks. Often I feel like people only get to see half of who I actually am, the other half is the face of my eating disorder. maybe that's a bit how you describe it. i so want to break free from it but it's freaking hard. love xx

    ReplyDelete