Monday 10 January 2011

It seems I need my chips

Hey all.

So, stuff has happened since New Years. I went away to Wales to stay with family for 5 days last week, and it was...ok, I guess. I mean, I love seeing my family, but food was super hard. Have you ever tried following a weight gain programme in a household full of people who don't bother with lunch and snack on celery? Don't get me wrong, they're perfectly healthy; they're just older and less active and don't need as much food as I'm supposed to be packing away. I had to resort to going off to the bedroom on my own to sit there and eat chocolate. Yuck.

But I managed it, I pretty much followed the programme. With a lot of difficulty and upset, but I managed it. And guess what? My weight has not changed, not even by 0.1kg. This is rather strange, because that's the 3rd week it's been at this exact same weight - strange for two reasons. 1) Even when weight stays the same, it fluctuates up and down a little, so it's very unusual to get the exact same reading 3 weeks in a row. 2) Why am I not gaining weight??

Our hypothesis is that I'm one of those people who just needs to eat more than you think in order to maintain a healthy weight, which came as a bit of a shock to me I have to say. I mean, I've spent so long trying to keep my weight low, I assumed that my metabolism/food needs must be the same as everyone else's. I'm "one of those people who needs to eat their chips" as my therapist put it, lol. Otherwise, how come I've been on what for most people would be a weight gain diet, and not gained any weight?

We're going to stick with the same meal plan for now, but just be aware that I'm currently eating the minimum I need. My appetite will probably increase when I'm doing Sul Ki Do again, because that's 3 sessions a week, 2 hours a session, of very intense exercise. So, we'll see how it goes. I'm still technically on the weight gain diet, it's just that we're not bothering to focus on weight gain any more. Maybe when I'm exercising, I'll be able to eat bigger portions and my weight will start to go up towards where it needs to be.

In other news, I'm drinking whole milk. WHOLE MILK. And eating FULL FAT CREAM CHEESE. These are things I never thought I'd be able to do, ever. But if I'm going to maintain this weight, it's what I need to do.

Go me!

1 comment:

  1. We are seeing SUPER LIZA
    :D :D :D
    Go you!

    I still maintain that you're AMAZING for managing to keep going and stay strong in Wales when everything seems to have been against you!

    I know it's all "mixed feelings" at the minute, but you're doing really, really well, and I'm really proud of you! I can't BELIEVE sul ki do is 6hrs a week, that is CRAZY intense :O Anyway - I'm sure that will help your appetite and remember that you need to eat enough to keep your energy up.

    Lots and lots and lots of radical love your way xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete